Friday, August 18, 2006

Growth standstill

Well, things seem to have come to a standstill in the kitchen garden recently. Tomatoes are still green, as are sweet peppers and most of the chillies. Orelia courgettes have been non-existant for a while now – I think there has been a lack of male flowers for pollination as fruit have been appearing but then falling off before developing. The Zucchini are not doing too badly, but I’m not overrun with them as I had expected I would be. However, there was a nice sight in the garden this morning – a huge bee in the open flowers. Lovely!





And here is Daisy, one of the local moggies. Quite friendly but can be a bit moody too. No more sightings of Mr Bunny so hopefully he will have been taken into somebody’s care.



Aubergines are starting to get going though – not as advanced as they should be at this time of year I don’t think, but I started them quite late (sometime in May). Anyway, they all have little tiny buds on them now so fingers crossed they will turn to flowers, then into fruit! Always the optimist! I have repotted three of them into bigger pots and they seem to be loving that. The others will unfortunately have to wait due to lack of funding in the garden area! Skint again.



I also have some okra but they are not doing that well – this is the best one…




I think that all the plants have been liking the weather recently – rain, sun, rain, sun, rain, sun… I can’t believe that today I overheard someone saying there was a touch of autumn in the air (!?!?!?!?!) Noooooo! There must be much more sunshine for ripening!

There’s not really much else to report on in the garden so here’s a few pictures of where I went at the weekend…. (Cockermouth, near Lake Bassenthwaite in the lake district)

This is the north part of Lake Windemere, on the journey up.






Cockermouth castle…





The sky!




Some mountains to the east of Lake Bassenthwaite, taken from Thornthwaite.





Geese! They hissed at me, so took the pic and ran!




There was a Food Festival in Cockermouth town centre and these lads were entertaining the crowds with some street circus – quite impressive actually!




No comments: